Microsoft, it seems, is building an Insider’s program for every little application. Unfortunately, the Insider program has reached levels of fatigue with customers and is losing favor.
The latest product is the Windows Admin Center. The tool is now part of the Windows Server Insiders program. Its a mixture between Windows Server Manager and the old Microsoft Management Console (MMC). It combines different management tasks into a very Windows 10-like interface.
Windows Admin Center Preview 1806 has been released to Windows Server Insiders. But, unlike some of the other Insider-ized products, Windows Admin Center will accumulate previews until its ready to replace the current GA. Let’s hope that there’s enough (and the right type) Windows Server Insiders still interested in testing to ensure that the next GA release is solid.
The current GA release is Windows Admin Center 1804.25 (from April 2018).
Here’s the new features included in this latest preview release:
- View/copy the PowerShell scripts that Windows Admin Center is using under the hood.
- Manage Windows Server 2008 R2 connections with a limited set of tools
- New tools to manage your Software Defined Network (SDN) in Hyper-Converged Cluster Manager
- New Scheduled Tasks tool
- Update notification dialog
- Multiple extension feeds
- Redirect web traffic from port 80
- General improvements to: gateway settings page, notifications, connection tag editing experience, and extension management experience
To get access to the preview, you must be a Windows Insider and then the download will be available from here: Windows Insider Preview Downloads
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in Dallas, Texas in 2018!