Share This Post

Upgrading Distribution Points from SCCM 2007 to ConfigMgr 2012 Error, 0x800706BA!

Recently during an implementation for an upgrade from SCCM 2007 to ConfigMgr 2012 I found that some Distribution Points (DPs) that I was attempting to upgrade were not finalizing on their upgrade. I checked out the Distmgr.log and started seeing the below error as follows:

CWmi::Connect() failed to connect to \\<<DPSERVERNAME>>\root\SCCMDP. Error = 0x800706BA

First off, one of the things that I noticed was that all the DPs were put in as Branch DPs in the SCCM 2007 environment which should not have been done in the first place since there were servers in each of the locations that the Branch DPs were put on. I am not completely sure if that had to do with the error or not, but I believe it possibly did have to do with it since it was every single DP (11) that was giving me issues. I did some research and found that there was very little info about this out in the ConfigMgr Community. I ended up gathering data from a few different sites and fellow colleagues to formulate how to resolve this issue with upgrading DPs and the process goes as follows:

  1.        Make sure SCCM 2007 client is uninstalled
  2.        Make ConfigMgr Primary Site server a local admin on the DP(s) being upgraded (if needing to do so with a Domain Controller, since they do not have local accounts, then add Domain Admin permissions to the ConfigMgr Primary Site server temporarily till the upgrade officially finalizes and then remove)
  3.        Copy over the following 3 files from the ConfigMgr installation files (Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\X64)
    1.        msrdcoob_x86.exe
    2.       smsdpprov.mof
    3.        SMSdp.dll
  4.        Open the Command Line Prompt as a local admin
  5.        Run “msrdcoob_x86.exe”
  6.        Run “mofcomp.exe smsdpprov.mof” to load the MOF file, to reregister the classes with WMI
  7.        Run “Regsvr32.exe SMSdp.dll”

After this has been completed then you should see the DP successfully installing in the DistMgr.log. Don’t be afraid if it initially fails in the Distribution Point Configuration section in monitoring, just be patient and give it some time. If other DPs are still transferring content after being upgraded then your newly upgraded DP might still be in queue for the ability to receive content after the others are finished receiving their content. To be a little more specific on how to verify if the DP has been upgraded fully and working properly then look at the following in the ConfigMgr console:

  •         Administration\Migration\Distribution Point Migration – look to see if it says Completed upgrade distribution point
  •         Monitoring\Distribution Status\Distribution Point Configuration Status (Details Tab) – look to see if “Content Was Distributed to Distribution Point” and if “IIS was configured successfully” (if not creating virtual directory then you might have to manually install IIS components for the DP) as long as these 2 are after “Failed to Distribute content” then be patient and let it work itself out (as mentioned above and it might take hours). It is also good news if you see “PXE setting is changed” or “Multicast setting is changed” after “Failed to Distribute Content”.
  •         Distribute out a new small package to finalize testing if needed.

If you have any questions in regards to this then send me a message on my Twitter ( and follow Hope this helps everyone out there and makes life a little easier for you.

Share This Post

1 Comment

Leave a Reply