When it comes to setting up a good configuration for an App-V 5.0 SP2 (or later) sequencer, the items below are typically what I like to establish. This list may not be fully complete and could be added to over time. Optionally, if you have any recommendations, please feel free to leave a comment below!
- Added a file named “ccmsetup” (no file extension) in C:Windows, which helps prevent the ConfigMgr client from being installed
- Turn off or disable: Windows Defender, Windows Update checks, Windows Firewall, Action Center notifications, restore points, auto restart on BSOD, highlight newly installed programs, and Windows indexing/search also needs to be turned off (disable the service “Windows Search”)
- Turn on or enable: remote desktop, set the display to “best performance”, add the “Run” box on the start menu, set IE to open with a blank page (and not MSN.com), set the system tray to show all icons, task manager to hide when minimized, desktop background to solid white color (makes for cleaner screen snips), and change the IE taskbar shortcut from the x64 app version to instead use the x86 app
- Install additional software KB2775511 (for Win7 SP1), WMF 4.0, KB2533623, Microsoft Office, the latest version of Hyper-V integration services, and the current supported version (in the business) of Internet Explorer*
- Install all Windows updates
- Ensure there was no random startup software either in the Run/RunOnce registry keys and the Startup folder
* Note that as of January 12, 2016, IE 11 will be the minimum supported browser version for Win7 and newer operating systems. So if you haven’t started planning yet, it’s a good idea to begin soon. Feel free to reach out to me if you need some guidance!
Filed under: App-V 5.0