During its most recent new product announcement event, Amazon also announced that new video providers were coming for its Echo Show devices (new and old). Included in the upcoming list were NBC and Hulu. Overnight, those two providers were added as options and you can now set these up to essentially turn the Echo Show into a TV. Those with Hulu with Live TV subscriptions can watch live TV which is great for as-it-happens sports and news.
Here’s how to set it up.
In the Alexa mobile app…
- Go to Settings – TV & Video
- Choose your TV provider (in this instance, we’re choosing Hulu).
- Tap the Link Your Alexa Device option.
- Login to your provider. For Hulu, you just log in to the website – for NBC you have to log in to your cable TV provider.
- Once logged in, Alexa will link your accounts and locate and link your Echo Show.
If you get the following message when attempting to set up NBC or Hulu, your Echo Show needs a firmware update before the feature is available to you. Like most Alexa features, Amazon is rolling this out methodically and may not be ready for your device right away.
You can check for the update on the Echo Show by swiping down from the top of the touchscreen, choosing Settings, then Device Options, and then Check for Software Updates.
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in Dallas, Texas in 2018!