Sometimes I get requests that I make me say ‘wow, really?’ then I just do them, this is one. Not confirmed exactly if every browser on the planet is going in our W7 SOE or just being made available to computers. I’ve been tasked to create packages for Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Mozilla Firefox with basic plugins (flash, java), home page set, auto-updates disabled.
Google apps are evil for the enterprise, users can just download the program and it installs in their APPDATA folder bypassing any UAC. To get the app to install for all users you have to do a bit of googling.
1. Find out the latest version, you can do this by downloading google chrome then checking the about window.; from that goto http://dl.google.com/chrome/install/472.63/chrome_installer.exe
Replace 472.63 with the latest sub version. This installer is required for using a master_preferences file (unattend file).
2. Create a master_preferences (no file extension) file, have a look at mine below (the settings are pretty easy to understand, just not well documented)
Here is mine http://pastebin.com/8AsPHZDT
Here is the documentation http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/first-run-customizations
3. Deploy: chrome_installer.exe –installerdata=master_preferences
4. Disabling updates can be achieved by downloading the group policy ADM from http://desktop.google.com/en/enterprise/
1. Download the latest version of Safari
2. Launch Setup, but don’t click next
3. Navigate to %temp% and locate the folder the installer just made (should be something similiar to IXP253.TMP) and copy the files elsewhere.
4. Install Safari, customize preferences.
5. Download Plist Editor from http://www.icopybot.com/download.htm
6. Edit %appdata%\Apple Computer\Preferences\com.apple.Safari.plist
Remove the last key
7. copy AppleApplicationSupport.msi, and the modified com.apple.Safari.plist to a new folder. Also put the original installer in that folder.
mkdir “%appdata%\Apple Computer%”
mkdir “%appdata%\Apple Computer%\Preferences”
copy com.apple.Safari.plist “%appdata%\Apple Computer\Preferences\” /y
msiexec /i AppleApplicationSupport.msi /qb
SafariSetup.exe /quiet NO_ASUW=1 NO_BONJOUR=1
xcopy com.apple.Safari.plist “%systemdrive%\Users\default\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Preferences\” /y
1. Download Firefox
2. Install Firefox
3. Customize your profile
4. Copy the prefs.js from %appdata%\mozilla\firefox\profiles\random.default\ to your install source folder
5. Create an override.ini file in your install source to stop the prompt to import IE favorites with the following text:
“Firefox Setup 3.6.10.exe” -ms
copy prefs.js “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile” /Y
copy override.ini “%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Mozilla Firefox”
“Firefox Setup 3.6.10.exe” -ms
copy prefs.js “%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile” /Y
copy override.ini “%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox”
MSI with transform –
AUTOUPDATECHECK = 0
IEXPLORER = 1
JAVAUPDATE = 0
JU = 0
MOZILLA = 1
SYSTRAY = 0
There are 2 Msi’s you can get, 1 for IE, 1 for Mozilla/Other
Bat File –
msiexec /i install_flash_player_10_active_x.msi /qn
msiexec /i install_flash_player_10_plugin.msi /qn
IF EXIST “C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg” goto :UPDATE_DISABLED
echo AutoUpdateDisable=1 >> C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg
echo Flash 10 Installed
Note: I’ve been meaning to add more detail here to some of the file customizations, let me know if you think there’s something I missed here that would help. Pastebin.com seems to go down alot so I may not ever use that site again.