I got my hands on a new Alexa-capable smart plug over the past couple days. Like many others I’ve tested, it uses a smartphone app and an Alexa skill to integrate into your Smart Home settings. Like the others, this one also doesn’t require a hub, but connects directly to your Wi-Fi network to communicate with the mothership.
Setup is easy. And, truly, you have to credit Amazon for making Alexa integration as simple as possible, because the majority of smart plugs I’ve tested have all been easy to install and have taken less than 5 minutes. Using the Oittm smart plug with Alexa was also simple to do. This plug supports turning things on and off, power scheduling, and provides lightning protection.
But, for a plug like this, the true test is its profile. When you plug it into dual power outlet, can you plug other things in with it?
The Oittm makes it difficult. Due to how the electrical prongs are placed, this particular smart plug makes it difficult to plug in anything else. Here’s an example of the Oittm compare to the D-Link…
Notice the placement of the prongs. In dual power outlet scenario, the D-Link allows enough room so you can plug something else below it (if you plug it into the top slot). The Oittm does not. However, where this is not an issue, the Oittm works just as well as the D-Link and the Oittm is about $10 cheaper.
Amazon has the D-Link for around $30: D-Link Smart Plug
The Oittm is around $15: Oittm Smart Plug
And, surprisingly, the Oittm takes less time to setup.
The Alexa skill you need for the Oittm: Smart Life
- [Works with Amazon Alexa] Using “Smart Life” skill in Alexa App to control this plug with your voice.
- [App Control from Anywhere] No Hub Required. Tracking and controlling your appliances with the “Oittm Smart” App through your smartphones or tablets at anytime even you are not home.
- [Customize Timers] Supports max 30 timing tasks, turn ON/OFF the appliances automatically on your schedule, that helps extend devices lifetime, save electricity bill and simplify your life.
- [More Safe Design] Lightning protection avoids to over charging. Up to UL94 V-0 flammability material and insulating layer at the plug area that keeps you and your devices away from danger.
- [Lifetime Warranty and Super Mini] Occupies only one socket and light weight, easy to carry it for traveling. Offers you 24h worry-free service and technology supports.
(tap or click each image for a larger view)
Follow me on Twitter
Add me to your Google+ circles
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in San Francisco in 2017!