The Drocon Blue Bugs drone showed up at my doorstep recently. I’ve played with drones before, but not to the point where I would call myself proficient by any means. And, after my inaugural flight of this drone, some might suggest I’m a total noob. I’d have to agree, but after spending some significant hours with the Bugs drone, I’m getting better.
Out of the box, the drone takes about 15 minutes to build. The propellers, propeller guards, and landing legs all have to be installed. However, you don’t have to install them. In fact, some more hard core drone users have indicated that, by not installing these additional items, you can eek out just a little more battery life. I installed the additional pieces anyway and was still able to get about 20 minutes of battery – so I’ll just keep them installed.
The drone comes with a single battery that, like I said, gives you about 20 minutes of usage. A second battery should definitely be considered so you have one charging at all times. The battery can take up to 250 minutes to charge. You can get a two-pack of extra batteries for this drone for just under $30.
The drone also comes with a camera mount for using with GoPro-sized cameras. I’m sure the weight of a camera would drag down battery life significantly, but I couldn’t locate our GoPro (one of the kids must’ve last used it) so in my testing so in my testing I didn’t use it. However, the camera cage is pretty solidly constructed and even includes soft spacers to ensure a good fit.
My oldest daughter helped me test. The controller is gaming style, so her Xbox abilities were a great help because the controls are, in my opinion, extremely “touchy.” However, even during the first battery cycle, I started getting the hang of it and was able to hover and move to the front and to the back. It took a few more battery cycles before I was able to manage turns and twists without crashing to the earth.
But, the true test result of any device like this is the amount of fun achieved. My oldest daughter and I were laughing the entire time, along with giving each other kudos as we continued getting better at managing flight paths and avoiding trees, power lines, the road, and parked cars. And, even as we continued improving our drone skills, the fun continued. I can see a drone like this one being a wonderful Christmas present.
The drone comes with a complete set of extra propellers, and that’s a very welcome and thoughtful thing. Since it took a few battery cycles and a bunch of crashes to master the drone, the first set of propellers had nicks and bangs. I’ve seen some suggestions on the Internet where other owners were able to repair propellers by molding them back into shape over a heat source, and I might try that at some point. Fortunately, and thanks to the propeller guards, the propellers survived even my ineptness. The drone is tough and can withstand quite a beating, but you can also grab and extra set of propellers for less than $10.
And, that’s another great feature – almost every piece on this drone is replaceable and for great prices. And, they’re all available from Amazon, i.e., you don’t have to look for parts from a custom source that takes days to deliver.
Bottom line is that if you want a drone that’s absolutely a hoot and a lot of fun, this is a great option. The Blue Bugs is Drocon’s mid-range drone. You can snag a beginner’s drone for around $50 or go a bit higher-end for almost $200.
Amazon has this particular model drone for $130: DROCON Blue Bugs Brushless Drone
- NEW BRUSHLESS MOTORS – Insist on brushless metal motors! Here’s why: they don’t overheat and melt like plastic, so you get longer flights (15-20 minutes). They don’t fray and spark like brush motors, so they’re far safer.
- 15 – 20 MINUTE FLIGHTS – Thanks to highly efficient brushless motors, Blue Bugs 3 lasts for 15 minutes at mid-to-high throttle, and up to 20 minutes with conservative use. Bugs flies stable and smooth for beginners.
- CONTROL FROM 300 – 500 METERS AWAY – Even when your Blue Bugs 3 is a tiny speck in the distance, you retain 100% control. Capture incredible shots of breathtaking vistas. Fly to 1,000 feet and beyond in seconds.
- TWO WAY COMMUNICATION – Most drones only send signals from the controller to the drone. But the Blue Bugs 3 drone communicates back. That’s why there is no noticeable delay in control. When you want your Blue Bugs 3 to respond… it does.
- ACTION CAMERA SLOT FOR GOPRO, ETC – The Blue Bugs 3 has a built in action camera slot, which can lift cameras with ease and capture seamless, steady gorgeous HD video. Capture shots that go viral on social media with just minutes of use.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me to your Google+ circles
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in Dallas, Texas in 2018!