In a surprise post today, Microsoft has made available the first version of a tool that provides the capability for Window Phone 8.1 users to upgrade their devices to Windows 10 Mobile using a connected cable. For those brave users still clutching an old Windows Phone 8.1 handset, this tool could bring them into the more modern – yet now unsupported – world of Windows on mobile.
Called, the Over-the-cable Updater tool for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Mobile 10, this tool will pull down the latest Windows Mobile 10 installation and upgrade an older Windows smartphone. There’s not much more information available for this tool, except the requirements to run it. I’m sure there’s many with old, disgustingly discarded handsets laying around that can be used to test.
- Device must be able to connect to a PC via USB
- Device with PIN lock must be unlocked before using the OTC Updater
- Device must be in Airplane mode before using the OTC Updater
- PC running a supported Windows client OS with latest service pack installed
- PC must have a minimum of .NET 4.0 installed
- PC must have Internet connectivity and be able to connect to WU
A better name for this tool might be Salt-in-the-Wound Upgrade Tool.
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in San Francisco in 2017!