Microsoft introduced yet another problem in customer environments after releasing the August cumulative update. See: High CPU Usage for the WSUS Server After August Cumulative Update.
The issue causes the following:
- High CPU on your WSUS server – 70-100% CPU in w3wp.exe hosting WsusPool
- High memory in the w3wp.exe process hosting the WsusPool – customers have reported memory usage approach 24GB
- Constant recycling of the W3wp.exe hosting the WsusPool (identifiable by the PID changing)
- Clients failing to scan with 8024401c (timeout) errors in the WindowsUpdate.log
- Mostly 500 errors for the /ClientWebService/Client.asmx requests in the IIS logs
With just a few days left in August, Microsoft has now delivered updates for the applicable platforms. These updates should be applied to ALL WSUS servers in your environment:
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in San Francisco in 2017!