Wondering how IT Asset Management (ITAM) compliments IT Service Management (ITSM) and vice versa? Here is a summary of a great webinar to help shed some light on the topic.
This on-demand 35 minute webinar offered by Linium, is stripped of marketing fluff, and contains a solid overview of the relationship between ITAM and ITSM. I’ve included some info inline that could be helpful as a primer.
Asset Records vs CI Records
- Asset Data (ITAM): Ownership Asset Lifecycle State All History Relationships to Cost, Suppliers Warranties, Contracts, Compliance
- CI Data (ITSM): Service Owners/Engineers Current Operational State Configuration & Repair History Relationships to other CIs & Sub-CIs Upgrades, Updates, Uptime
- Common Overlap (ITAM and ITSM): User(s) Locations Change History Hardware Components Software Components
Important Asset Attributes
- Asset Identification (Asset tag, Serial Number, Model)
- Lifecycle state (In stock, In use, In maintenance, Retired)
- Acquisition (PO, purchase date, cost, owner, Location, Capex/Opex)
- Warranty / support contract
- SW License
- Current Assignment / Use (Location details, Assigned to, Department, Legal Entity, Environment)
- Installed HW / SW (for SW License Compliance)
Important CI Attributes
- CI Identification (Machine Name, Serial Number)
- Status (Installed, Idle)
- HW / SW Configuration (CPU, RAM, IP, Cluster, etc.)
- Performance (speed, memory, utilization factors, etc.)
Here is a link to a condensed summary of the WebEx info.
I recommend viewing the full webinar. It is short and is definitely worth the time investment: