Last Updated: 2012-03-16 15:24:38 UTC
by Swa Frantzen (Version: 1)
As we feared the MS12-020 bulletin from last black Tuesday caused a race for finding an exploit.
The last few evolutions in that process cause our worries to increase significantly and to help raise awareness and call administrators to action, we’re raising our INFOCON to YELLOW for 24 hours.
- Luigi Auriemma found a problem on May 16th, 2011.
- Microsoft was warned on August 24th, 2011 working with TippingPoint’s Zero Day Initiative
- Microsoft released bulletin MS12-020 on March 13th, 2012
- Luigi Auriemma released his work on March 16th, 2012
Luigi wrote today: “now that my proof-of-concept is out (yeah rdpclient.exe is the poc written by Microsoft in November 2011 using the example packet I sent to ZDI) I have decided to release my original advisory and proof-of-concept packet written the 16 Mary 2011… full-disclosure as usual 🙂” and he released his analysis and exploit of the vulnerability.
This is expected to speed up the efforts of the bad guys significantly and gives those having exposed RDP services very little time to fix before it will get exploited somehow.
The clock is ticking, please consider:
- block off RDP from all sources but those you absolutely need
- install the Microsoft patch
Swa Frantzen — Section 66