You may want to test Windows 10 S – Microsoft’s latest limited edition of the Windows platform – but don’t have access to a PC that is already running it. Microsoft has now made a special installer available that allows you to install Windows 10 S on any PC.
The installer is located here (direct download): https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=853240
Though providing this installer for download, Microsoft provides ample warnings for installing Windows 10 S.
Things to remember:
- Non-Windows Store apps will not install.
- Will not run Win32 software.
- Does not support on-premises domain accounts (only supports Azure Active Directory)
- Must have administrator rights to the PC for installation (local admin, MSA, or Azure Active Directory admin)
- May not work with all device drivers.
- May not be compatible with all peripherals.
- Installation requires Windows 10, version 1703 (Creators Update) – Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro Education, Windows 10 Education, Windows 10 Enterprise
You can roll back if you don’t like Windows 10 S, but only if you’ve created a system recovery partition first. In some cases, even the recovery partition may not work and you may be forced to use the Windows 10 Recovery Tool.
Full instructions: Test Windows 10 S on existing Windows 10 education devices
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in San Francisco in 2017!