As we noted recently, Microsoft considers Office 2019 as a set of applications meant for customers that aren’t ready for the cloud. Office 2019 is also being developed separately from Microsoft’s core Office applications, meaning that features, functions, and capabilities will continually be different. It is also the last version of Office that will be available for installation outside the Microsoft app store. Essentially, Microsoft really wants its customers to move to Office 365.
Here are a few important things to be aware of in relation to deploying Office 2019 in an organization.
- Office 2019 is supported on Windows 10 but isn’t supported on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.
- To configure and perform installations, you use the Office Deployment Tool. The Office Customization Tool that you previously used for Windows Installer (MSI) is no longer used.
- Instead of downloading the installation files from the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC), you use the Office Deployment Tool to download the installation files directly from the Office Content Delivery Network (CDN) on the internet.
- When you install Office Professional Plus 2019, all apps are installed by default. But, you can configure the Office Deployment Tool to exclude certain apps from being installed.
- Office 2019 is installed on the system drive, which is usually the C:\ drive. The installation location can’t be changed.
- Updates to Office 2019, such as security updates and bug fixes, can be configured to be automatically downloaded and installed from the Office CDN. Individual downloads for each security update or bug fix aren’t available.
- Office 2019 will not be developed to use the new MSIX application deployment technology.
- If you’re using Configuration Manager (Current Branch), you can use the Office 365 Client Installation wizard to deploy Office 2019. You must be using at least version 1710, but version 1806 is recommended. You’ll see an entry for Office Professional Plus 2019 in the Office 365 Client Installation wizard. On that same page, you can also select to install Project and Visio. This will install Visio Professional 2019 and Project Professional 2019.
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in Dallas, Texas in 2018!