As we talk to software developers and product managers around the world, the importance of a good customer installation experience remains a hot topic of conversation. Getting that customer “like” is not easy as technology continues to change. Teams are trying to figure out:
- How do we make applications easier to consume?
- We have more products. What's available to create one installation for multiple products to avoid multiple installations for our users?
- Download speed is becoming more challenging. How can we start the installation faster?
- Building software installations takes time … time that we can use to build new features. What's the right balance between installations and new features?
- Our clients use a lot of software and know how the best apps work. An old-fashioned looking installation isn’t going to cut it. How can we look modern but not put more time into installations?
Concerns also include what happens beyond that first installation. The design of an installation has an impact on future updates and the effectiveness of an upgrade or patch is gauged by the following:
- The new package updates the appropriate installed product and does not remove any required data
- An update packaged as a full installation should behave correctly as a first-time installation
- The product information registered on the system should display information only for the newest product version
Wow, that’s a long list of requirements and challenges to get “likes.” It’s also why many developers and product managers decided to build installations with a software installation tool. In fact, in a recent survey by TechValidate, Flexera users indicated that solving customer experience challenges ranked as a top reason for choosing InstallAnywhere.
Technology continues to move fast. What new customer experience challenges are emerging for cross-platform installers and MSI Windows installers?
InstallShield® is the world's leading Windows installation development solution. InstallShield is designed to enable development teams to be more agile, collaborative and flexible when building reliable InstallScript and Windows Installer MSI installations for desktop, server, Web, virtual and traditional applications. The software installer of choice for today's sophisticated application producers, InstallShield is the only software installer that can directly convert MSIs to Microsoft App-V virtual packages. Get your free trial of InstallShield today or contact us for more information.
InstallAnywhere is the leading multiplatform development solution for application producers who need to deliver a professional and consistent cross installation experience for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From a single project file and build environment, InstallAnywhere creates reliable installations for on-premises platforms – Windows, Linux, Apple OS X, Solaris, AIX , HP-UX, and IBM iSeries – and enables you to take existing and new software products to a virtual and cloud infrastructure. Get your free trial of InstallAnywhere or contact us for more information.