Many customers do not like the http://<ServerName>:####/SMPortal as their Self-Service and Incident request portal URL. They want something friendly that their users can remember and easily go to when creating a request.
Here are the steps to make that happen. First, you need to have a friendly CNAME record created in DNS that points to your server name. In this case our CNAME record is called servicedesk.domain.com. Secondly, this assumes that the Web Services Parts are located on the same server as the Service Manager Portal, however, these steps should still work if the Web Services Parts are on a different server as well.
1. The first thing we need to do is get into the SharePoint Central Administration Screen and select the Application Management.
2. Select the Configure alternate access mappings.
3. Next, we need to select the Service Manager Portal Application Collection and we can see the Internal Default URLs for the Service Manager Portal. We want to click on the Edit Public URLs button.
4. In the Alternate Access Mapping Collection page, select the Service Manager Portal and you will see the current Default URL for that site.
5. Next, replace the default URL with the more friendly URL. In our case, we are using a URL servicedesk.company.com
6. You should now see your new friendly URL listed on the summary page.
7. Next open up the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager and navigate to the Service Manager Portal and click on Bindings.
8. Next, we want to add a binding to use port 80 and set the host name to our new friendly URL.
9. Validate the URL in the site bindings screen.
10. Next, we need to modify the Application Settings for the Service Manager Portal Site to use the new friendly URL. If we do not do this, we cannot see the SCSM Web Part and you will get a blank content screen similar to this screen.
11. Click on the Application Settings on the Service Manager Portal.
12. Select the SM_PortalWebContentServer Application Setting and click on Edit.
13. Add the new Friendly URL in the value. Make sure you keep the port on that Value the same.
14. Once that is completed, you can now access your portal page.