With Alexa’s ever-increasing popularity, new Alexa-enabled products deliver almost daily. Some are duds – some are interesting and valuable. When new and interesting products are available, we take a look at new and important Alexa add-on hardware you might want to consider adding to your Alexa device farm.
Alexa is available for Amazon devices Echo, Echo 2, Dot, Tap, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, Echo Show, Echo Look, Echo Connect, Dash Wand, Amazon Cloud Cam, Fire tablets, and Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV Edition TVs, in the Music app, but also on iOS, Android, and the web with Reverb.ai.
This week’s hardware: Muse Auto – Alexa Voice Assistant for Cars
Description: Introducing Muse Auto, a small Bluetooth accessory that brings Amazon Alexa to the car. Be productive and entertained while keeping our eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. Bring Bluetooth streaming to old cars via AUX and USB. With Muse in your car, you can ask Alexa to play music, news, and audiobooks, control your smart home, manage to-dos, play games, do shopping, and more, all with your voice! Muse supports over 30,000+ Alexa Voice skills.
- Alexa for your car. Brings more than 30,000 Alexa voice skills to your car, played through the car stereo system using Bluetooth, USB and AUX! Just say “Alexa”. Plus, add wireless Bluetooth streaming and hands-free calling to your car through AUX.
- Hands-free entertainment: Ask Alexa to play music, news, podcasts, audiobooks, games, and more. Supports Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Audible, SiriusXM, and more. Spotify and Pandora coming soon.
- Productivity and safety on the road: Control your smart home, create to-dos, order food, do last minute shopping, check your calendar, and more, without taking your eyes off the road.
- Requirements: Smartphone with data plan and free companion app always required for use. Cannot be used concurrently with other music apps.
- Compatibility: Supports Android 6.0 and higher, and iOS 10 and higher. OnePlus, Samsung S5, Note 4 and older Samsung phones are currently not supported.
Real world use: OK…so, I’ve actually installed, used, and reviewed this product already, and you can find that review here: Review: Muse Alexa Voice Assistant for Your Car. Just like the Echo devices have become an important part of our smart home, the Muse has become equally important. It allows us to control the house remotely using our voice just like we were in the confines of the home. There are number of negative comments on Amazon that dips the rating for this device down to 3-stars, but for us, this has worked wonderfully. I wouldn’t go as far as to give it a 5-star rating, but the 4-star level is about right and what I’m comfortable with promoting.
Again, read through the review and you’ll get a sense of why I believe this is a fantastic addition to an Alexa environment.
Where to get the hardware: Amazon has the Alexa device for less than $50: Muse Auto – Alexa Voice Assistant for Cars
Follow me on Twitter
Add me to your Google+ circles
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Developers, and DevOps? IT/Dev Connections kicks off in Dallas, Texas in 2018!