The Exchange 2010 management pack provides significant value for monitoring Exchange. However, one piece of functionality that is not available by default is Mail Flow related data – specifically, the rate at which e-mails are being sent and received. Pretty important information me thinks.
The good news is the necessary performance collection rule is included with the management pack but is just disabled:
- Collect: MSExchangeTransport SMTP Send: Messages sent per second
- Collect: MSExchangeTransport SMTP Send: Messages received per second
I set the frequency to 60 seconds and was able to put together a simple dashboard that accurately displays mail flow rates. This environment has three Hub Transports so you’d need to add the rates up for a total.
NOTE: Keep in mind the rates may seem deceptively low but if the average messages sent/sec is .3 and remains at .3 for an hour, that equates to 1080 messages.
If you want to create monitors or alert generating rules you can use the Objects listed below:
- Object: MSExchangeTransport SMTPSend | Counter: Messages Sent/sec
- Object: MSExchangeTransport SMTPSend | Counter: Messages Received/sec
Be sure to browse the perfmon library on your Exchange Hub transports – lots of hidden gems worth exploring.
Thank you to Ryan Rager of Microsoft for helping me find these counters.
- Sign Up Now for the Infinity Connected™ Full Feature 30 Day Trial
- Visit the Infinity Connected™ Support Center
- Visit Our Website: http://www.infinityconnected.com
- Visit Our Blog: http://blog.mobieus.com
- Want to just talk shop? 1-800-691-6774