Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager is now officially available. Many companies will be looking to upgrade their existing ConfigMgr sites in order to take advantage of the many new features in ConfigMgr 2012 R2.
Here is a step-by-step run through of an upgrade from a ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 CU3 site to ConfigMgr 2012 R2. Note that this does not include upgrading to Windows ADK 8.1 prior to upgrading ConfigMgr, or upgrading to MDT 2013 after the ConfigMgr upgrade, nor does it address the importance of planning out upgrades of multiple System Center 2012 products; this simply presents the core upgrade walkthrough.
- Launch the setup routine (splash.hta) from media and select Install.
- On the “Before You Begin” screen, verify all conditions are met and click Next.
- On the “Available Setup Options” screen, select Upgrade this Configuration Manager site and click Next.
- On the “Product Key” screen, enter the appropriate license key (or select the evaluation option) and click Next.
- On the “Microsoft Software License Terms” screen, accept the terms and Click Next.
- On the “Prerequisite Licenses” screen, accept the relevant licenses and click Next.
- On the “Prerequisite Downloads” screen, select a location to download the setup prereqs (or enter a path to the previously downloaded files) and click Next.
- On the “Server Language Selection” screen, select the appropriate language and click Next.
- On the “Client Language Selection” screen, select the appropriate language and click Next.
- On the “Settings Summary” screen, note the information and click Next.
- On the “Prerequisite Check” screen, note and/or remediate any warnings or errors then click Begin Install.
- Monitor progress on the “Upgrade” screen as the installation proceeds.
- Once the core setup has been completed, click Close to finish the Setup Wizard.
At this poing, launching the ConfigMgr Console should show a successful R2 upgrade: