This SAM Tool Requirement Checklist posted on The ITAM Review is a great start for any organization that is in the market for a new software asset management (SAM) tool. I would add a few features though that differentiate the leaders from the rest of the pack.
SAM Tool Differentiators
- Native discovery and inventory or the flexibility to import data from your 3rd party sources
- Manually input or automatically import business data including purchases, contract and organizational structure
- Manual or automatic linking of business data with inventory to create license positions
- Advanced intellectual property including libraries for application recognition, product use rights and SKUs that are updated regularly
- Powerful and flexible interface that provides advanced reporting
- On premises or SaaS options
- Direct integration with other application management solutions such as enterprise app store and packaging solutions
- Vendor delivery services offerings based on the IRS’s business objectives including process creation and alignment
Remember that SAM and software license optimization (SLO) should be approached as a program containing multiple iterations of projects, one built upon the other. This drives the organization’s SAM maturity level. To accomplish higher levels of SAM maturity you need a tool that can grow with your organization, one that offers the necessary features. Otherwise, you may waste your money on a product that will require a replacement in the future.