I was working along, getting some things marked off my MMS 2013 list, when I decided it was time to setup a new Exchange account for Outlook 2013. I had delayed doing this for a couple days and decide I could do this as somewhat of a break from my nose-to-the-grindstone work. During setting up a new Exchange account, you have to completely exit Outlook and use the old Control Panel Mail app (btw: this is on Windows 8, but it’s the same process on earlier versions of Windows). During setting up the Exchange account I needed to do something else more critical in Outlook and decided I’d cancel out and finish the Exchange setup later on, once I had my task complete.
So, I attempted to start Outlook back up, but was confronted, or accosted rather, by the following error message:
“Cannot start Outlook. Cannot open outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.”
Oh man. That horrid feeling came over me, where I had so much to do but I was at a technology roadblock. And, not only that, but this was Microsoft Outlook – the one piece of software that I simply cannot live without. So, I jumped out to Bing to see if I could locate others who had the same issue. I wasn’t alone. In fact, this seems to happen quite a lot.
For some the fix was running Outlook.exe in safe mode using the outlook.exe /safe command line. For others it was fixing a corrupted Navigation pane using the outlook.exe /resetnavpane switch. I tried all of these and they just didn’t work for me.
Some suggested running the scanpst.exe that comes with Microsoft Office to fix a corrupted PST file. That didn’t work for me, either.
So, after digging around on my own I noticed something peculiar. On the Data Files tab in Outlook’s Account Settings there was no default data file defined. Apparently, when setting up an Exchange account, Outlook assumes that you’ll want the new OST that will be created as the default data file, so it removes the default flag on your currently selected option.
After setting the default data file back to it’s original setting, Outlook opened again. I had to import some old Rules, but that was quick and easy since I export those regularly (and old habit I learned after getting burned a couple times).