In a recent post, msutliff had experienced the CCMExec_Global.MOF fails to compile during ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Management Point installation. In the post he offered a solution that worked for him. I noted that this issue has been surfacing more, lately. That post spurred tgibson to offer an alternate solution that worked in his situation, and explains the reason why the issue happens in the first place.
tgibson’s fix and explanation:
I had the SAME problem today. I had a different resolution though.
Newly built Windows Server 2008 R2 servers. The servers are automatically built with the SCCM 2007 SP2 client installed. I had fortuitously run the prereqcheck tool against my dedicated MP server and saw the warning to remove the older client.
I removed the client with CCMSETUP /Uninstall and the prereqcheck reported everything was ready. But, the MP Setup failed. The MPMSI.log reported a failure with an exit code of 1603.
There were 4 errors in the log:
- Failed to compile ‘C:\SMS_CCM\CcmExec_Global.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 5, Lines: 76 – 83, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘C:\SMS_CCM\PolicyDefaults.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 4, Lines: 49 – 57, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘C:\SMS_CCM\DataTransferService.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 5, Lines: 318 – 323, Error: 80041002)
- Failed to compile ‘C:\SMS_CCM\CcmExec_MP.mof’ (Phase: 3, Object: 1, Lines: 31 – 36, Error: 80041002)
I discovered that there were still remnants of the SMS Agent Host in WMI. The CCM Namespace still existed. I tried to rebuild WMI, but that did not change anything. I finally decided to just delete the CCM Namespace with the powershell command:
Get-WMIObject -namespace “root” -query “SELECT * FROM __Namespace where name = ‘ccm’” | remove-wmiobject
That did the trick. My MP installed successfully!!