The following milestones have been set by Microsoft for the availability of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and so far, the timelines have been spot on.
- August 15th: Developers will be able to download the final version of Windows 8 via your MSDN subscriptionsand DreamSpark Premium for institutional administrators
- August 15th: IT professionals testing Windows 8 in organizations will be able to access the final version of Windows 8 through your TechNet subscriptions.
- August 16th: Education institutions with existing Microsoft Software Assurance for Windows will be able to download Windows 8 Enterprise edition through the Volume License Service Center (VLSC), allowing you to test, pilot and begin adopting Windows 8 Enterprise within your organization.
- August 16th: Microsoft Partner Network members will have access to Windows 8.
- August 20th: Microsoft Action Pack Providers (MAPS) receive access to Windows 8.
- August 25th – 31st: Students will be able to download these via DreamSpark Premium institutional ELMS stores
- September 1st: Volume License customers without Software Assurance will be able to purchase Windows 8 through Microsoft Volume License Resellers and Academic License Resellers.