SCCM OSD – Using Domain Join Accounts with Spaces (XP vs Win7)

Back when we first began using SCCM for OS deployment at a customer site, we fought through an annoying issue with getting the machines to join the domain properly. This location was using a domain account called “Workstation Admin” to join machines to the domain.  We entered those credentials into the Apply Network Settings task, but noticed through the first several tests that it was failing to join the domain.  With it being a complex password, we double-checked it and tried a few times without any success, so we eventually made our way to C:\Windows\Debug\NetSetup.log and discovered that the Account value was set to MYDOMAIN\Workstation instead of MYDOMAIN\Workstation Admin.

The solution we came up with was simply to create a Task Sequence variable and set its value to the desired account…



…then used the variable for the user name in the Apply Network Settings task.


We tested it and it worked like a charm…once we made sure to include the double quotes around the value.

Flash forward a couple years and they’re looking to begin deploying Windows 7 via SCCM OSD.  In setting up the Task Sequence, they literally cut-and-pasted many of the tasks rather than start completely from scratch.  Unfortunately, we ran into a familiar problem: the machine was not joining the domain.  This case, the specific error being seen in NetSetup.log was “NetpDoDomainJoin status 0x89a

Looking at the Account field in the NetSetup.log file you could almost miss the fact that the domain join account had the double quotes around it, but once you’ve been through this dance once you recognize the tune quickly.  Removing the double quotes from the variable value resulted in a successful domain join (and directly entering it into the Apply Network Settings task works as well, eliminating the need for a custom task sequence variable).  We certainly weren’t the first to encounter this issue and resolution.

As with the handling of the OU setting, SCCM works a little differently with unattend.xml than it does with sysprep.inf, so be sure to pay close attention when moving from WinXP to Win7!


Written by , Posted .

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.