I’ve been doing a lot of work with the client install lately. At MMS 2011 Mike Schultz did a presentation on MCS secrets and tips. During that presentation he released a spreadsheet and pivot table to parse the ccr.retry inbox. Below is a list of common error codes that he provided. I’ve updated and/or added about 8-10 errors that I was seeing.
Hope this helps others. You can find the scripts that Mike uses on the MMS 2011 DVD’s.
Note: Error 53 has lots of reasons. The reasons I provided below are based on the machine being turned on. You can also get an error 53 if you run an AD system discovery and a machine no longer exists but is still in AD and DNS. To remedy this turn on DNS scavenging.
Error Code Reason
- 2 – The system cannot find the file specified.
- 5 – Access denied.
- 52 – You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network. Make sure there is not a duplicate name in DNS and that 2 machines don’t have the same IP in DNS.
- 53 – Unable to locate – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920852 – cannot connect to admin$ – Computer Browser not started – add File/print sharing to Exceptions in Firewall – turn file and print on.
- 58 – The specified server cannot perform The requested operation
- 64 – The specified network name is no longer available. Source: Windows
- 67 – network name cannot be found.
86 – network password is not correct? Machine Name <> resolved name.
- 112 – Not enough disk space
- 1003 – Cannot complete this function.
- 1053 – The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
- 1068 – The dependency service or group failed to start
- 1130 – Not enough server storage is available to process this command. Source: Windows
- 1203 – The network path was either typed incorrectly, does not exist, or the network provider is not currently available. Please try retyping the path or contact your network administrator.
- 1208 – An extended error has occurred. Source: Windows
- 1396 – Logon Failure: The target account name is incorrect. (NBTSTAT -a reverse lookup, duplicate IP address)
- 1450 – Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service. Source: Windows
- 2147749889 – Generic WMI failure (Broken WMI)
- 2147749890 – not found – Source: Windows Management (WMI) – try repair WMI
- 2147749904 – Invalid class – Source: Windows Management (WMI)
- 2147749908 – Initialization failure – Source: Windows Management (WMI)
- 2147942405 – Access is Denied (Firewall rule? / MacAfee-HIPS?)
- 2147944122 – The RPC server is unavailable. (Dcom is miss-configured for security . http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899965 )
- 2148007941 – Server Execution Failed