How To Sequence Office 2007 With SoftGrid
There is some very interesting things buzzing about with SoftGrid, most of which I cannot talk about, don't you hate it when people say things like that? I visited Sean McHugh in Denver last week and he is very deep into SoftGrid and has some great plans around it.
On July 12th Microsoft released a KB on how to sequence Office 2007, below are some of the highlights of the article along with a few links for additional information.
- Create an .msp file for your particular environment, you can get the customization tool here.
- During the customization add in the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences "PreventIndexingOutlook" dword:00000001. Interesting that they would add this in, it enabled the classic search for Outlook...see below
- If you plan to include Project and/or Visio you need to create a separate .msp file.
- Make sure you install these to the Q drive - Not the C drive, if you don't know what I am talking about then you should review the recommended best practices here.
- Reimage your sequencing computer.
- Sequence your .msp's
- Visio, Project, Office Communicator, Live Meeting, and the XPS.PDF file save add on all need to be installed in the same folder!
- Do not start Outlook or Groove
- Create your FB1.
- After you finish the sequencing delete the following registry values in the Virtual Registry.
- Modify the virtual registry for the Live Meeting add on if installed (see KB 939796)
- If you sequenced on XP and have Tablet PC's clear the virtualized flag in the Virtual File System
- CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON\Microsoft Shared\ink
- Alter the .osd files to enable local interaction to improve the programs interaction with IE.
- Some interesting "known issues"
- The quick launch shortcuts will not work (of course) so users will have to modify them or remove them from the toolbar.
- The classic search for Outlook is not because Google is going to sue them again but because the new search doesn't currently work in SoftGrid.
- mailto: links do not work and anything else that launches Outlook.
I personally would not recommend sequencing Office and running it virtually, I would prefer to install it as part of BDD, much like AntiVirus, there are certain things I feel should be installed locally instead of virtualized and Office is one of them.
Anthony Clendenen | Solutions Engineer | 1E Inc.
We are considered a premier SMS Solution Provider by Microsoft. See us at http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/partners
"1E's tools add significant value to SMS in particular, around patch management, simplified branch designs and desktop migration. Having been a trusted Microsoft partner for five years, 1E's track record in consultancy and software solutions comes highly recommended."
- Bill Anderson, Lead Product Manager, Enterprise Management Division, Microsoft