SoftGrid and SMS 2003 Together
Chad Jones session Friday 11:30 - 1.
- 3 components of SG the sequencer, server, and client
- sequencer - wizard based, creates sft file, sprj (project file), osd (tells client how to run the app - XML file), and ico files
- policy based management through AD groups or OU's.
- SG server streams virtualized apps, can do pre-caching or load entire app on first use, actual video file is what is streamed to the client
- SG client version 4.2 will work on Vista
- If the namespace is not virtualized you can still COM problems SG always virtualizes the namespace
- Licensing can also be managed with SG
- SFT file is a runtime image of the application, it is loaded into RAM to run, not installed. SG essentially eliminates the installation portion of applications.
SG connector with SMS
- Accelerates SMS App deployments
- instantly upgrade applications
- provide on demand apps
- connector is integrated into existing infrastructure
- allows for management for virtual apps in SMS console
- integrated packaging
- multiple delivery methods
- dynamic, when the user launches
- push (off), deliver the app prior to user launch app still hits SG server for authentication, done in the background
- No off - does not require a SG server, apps are precached, a bit is set so the app does not look for authentication, no licensing, package upgrades...
- There can be a combination of these.
- Reporting and metering of virtual apps are included in SMS as well.
- They set a key in the ARP registry key to add this in
- The MOF can be extended to read the SG application keys.
- Content folder on SG folder is what needs to be on the DP's, you can co-locate this on the DP's. You can then use SMS to move these around to other DP's.
- Cannot easily replicate SG db
- When the SG server service starts it reads the SG db and then caches it.
- You have to have both the SMS client and SG client for integration to SMS
- Can use SMS to install or update the SG client
- <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS> tag in the OSD file sets file association type for file extensions.
- SMS will read this and set it on the client during the deployment of a SG app
- SWICACHESIZE /n sets the SG client cache size
- Cannot do an import of an application without a user is logged in, if no user is logged in the apps will not import. Will be fixed in next version.
- In the program files\softgrid\scripts directory the txt files are VBS's that are run when called
- InstallAllApplications, InstallApplication
- Function LoadApp(applicationName) is the function that launches the application install.
- Function AddApp creates icons, etc.
- Can add in your own functions in the VBS script
- It will return any errors to the admin console during import to client
- Under packages properties you will see the SG tab with a list of sequenced apps in the server, you can select any servers from the drop down list.
- Can create metering rule directly from SG tab without having to make the rule in SMS
- Inorder to get the app listed in AORP you have to send the app using SMS
- Spring 2008 SG 4.5 will be integrated with SCCM
Anthony Clendenen | Senior Technical Consultant | Microsoft Practices | Dimension Data
“Dimension Data is Microsoft’s 2006 Global Advanced Infrastructure Technology Innovation
Partner of the Year… for the Dynamic Desktop Deployment Solution”
Tags: MMS 2007 SoftGrid SaaS SMS 2003 San Diego Microsoft Softricity Application Virtualization
Tags: Desktop Optimization Pack