Some new features coming along in SP2. Usual things such as support for new operating systems but some of the main highlights:
- Branch Cache will be supported. This is a feature in Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 for peer to peer content distribution. Very interesting…
- Intel AMT Integration V2. Improvements on features in SP1 to add full feature support for computers that have the Intel vPro chip set and iAMT firmware versions 4 and 5.
- Did I mention Branch Cache?
Below are steps to create a package for the SCCM admin console and also chain the install of MDT and R2.
One of the primary goals is to reduce the size of the package by removing any content from the SCCM DVD that is not required to install the admin console. This will save space on your DPs and also save lots of network and client disk space if you are using download and execute. Most admins will then also need to install MDT and R2 to get full console usage so this will chain them to the end.
- Create a source directory e.g. “Microsoft ConfigMgr 2007 Console”
- Copy the following content from the SMSSETUP folder on the DVD to your newly created folder:
- If you like you can remove any platform specific folders from ADMINUI\BIN if you are not going to need them.
- If you like you can remove any platform specific folders from under here if you are not going to need them.
- Create a folder in the “Microsoft ConfigMgr 2007 Console” folder called “R2”
- Copy the R2 source into here.
- Create a folder in the “Microsoft ConfigMgr 2007 Console” folder called “MDT”
- Copy the MDT MSI into here
- Create the following files in the “Microsoft ConfigMgr 2007 Console” folder (I’ll give you the contents later):
Paste the following content into your AdminConsole.ini file. You need to edit with appropriate site code,server name:
SMSInstallDir=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console
Paste the following into InstallAdminConsole.bat:
REM Install Admin Console
%~dp0\bin\i386\setup.exe /script %~dp0\AdminConsole.ini /nouserinput
REM Install MDT
MSIEXEC /i %~dp0\MDT\MicrosoftDeploymentToolkit_x86.msi /l*v %TEMP%\MDTInstall.log /q
REM Install R2
REM Need to kill any MMC processes first CAUTION - Could result in loss of work
TASKKILL /F /IM MMC.EXE
MSIEXEC /i %~dp0\R2\ConfigMgr2007R2.msi /l*v %TEMP%\ConfigMgrR2Install.log /q
There are a number of things you may need to edit above. It’s just meant as a guide really so play around with it as much as you want. Things to look out for:
- It calls the x86 version of MDT so you may want to change this or put some logic in to handle x86 and x64.
- R2 fails to install if there are any instances of MMC open, so I have used TASKKILL to kill them. You may want to do this another way or at least publish this as an optional advert and let your admins know to close any MMC instances before they run it.
Now you just need to create your package with “Microsoft ConfigMgr 2007 Console” as your source and set the package to run InstallAdminConsole.bat.
Don’t forget you’ll also need to run the MDT console integration component once installed. If running on Vista then this needs to be ran as an admin.
DISCLAIMER: As with anything, please test first… The ConfigMgr console installation logs to the standard ConfigMgr setup log and the others will log to the system TEMP directory, normally C:\Windows\Temp If you have any problems with it then please let me know.