Move SCCM Database to remote SQL server
Recently we started having SQL performance issues with one of our primary sites so we decided that we needed to move SQL to a dedicated box. Here is the basic process we used.
- Back up the site database on the current site database
server and restore it on the new site database server computer using the
SQL Server Management Studio.
- Ensure the primary site server computer account has administrative privileges over the new site database server computer.
- Close any open Configuration Manager console connections to the site server.
- On the primary site server computer, use the hierarchy
maintenance tool (Preinst.exe) to stop all site services with the
following command: Preinst /stopsite.
- On the primary site server computer, click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft System Center, click Configuration Manager 2007, and click ConfigMgr Setup, or navigate to the .\bin\i386 directory of the Configuration Manager 2007 installation media and double-click Setup.exe.
- Click Next on the Configuration Manager Setup Wizard Welcome page.
- Click Perform site maintenance or reset this site on the Configuration Manager Setup Wizard Setup Options page.
- Select Modify SQL Server configuration on the Configuration Manager Setup Wizard Site Maintenance page.
- Enter the appropriate SQL Server name and instance (if
applicable) for the new site database server as well as the site
database name on the Configuration Manager Setup Wizard SQL Server
- Configuration Manager Setup performs the SQL Server configuration process.
- Restart the primary site server computer, and verify the site is functioning normally.