The dreaded “A media rights error has occurred…” error in Zune
I’ve been using Zune and Windows Phone for several months, and recently upgraded to Zune 4.8. I’m not sure if it’s related or not, but somehow DRM got corrupt in Zune. Every time I tried to download video or music from Zune to play, I would get the dreaded “A media rights error has occurred…”. To be specific,
A media usage rights error has occurred. For help fixing this problem, click Web Help.
Error Code: C00D12F5
I tried everything in the KB to correct this but the options were grayed out, and none of the other steps were working. The DRM tool wouldn’t install correctly. I’m running Windows 7 64-bit and nothing was working to correct the problem. If you encounter the same problem, here’s what I did to fix it. Everything appears to be working correctly now. We’ll see if I encounter any other errors.
- Download the DRM Reset tool here:
- Using Winzip, 7Zip, or your other favorite extractor, extract the contents of the file.
- Run CLEANDRM.exe
- It should open a command prompt and run. If it doesn’t, set compatibility mode for the file to something else, like Vista, SP2.
- Once it runs, relaunch Zune and sign-in.
- Downloads should return to normal.