MOSS 2007 Discussion Boards are used for creating discussion threads as well as for archiving your E-Mail.
Each Discussion board form or container that you create contains and manages its own Metadata set and holds all of the messages for the appropriate threads.
As far as E-Mail archiving your discussion board threads are saved as threads rather than your users saving the individual messages to the threads in their own Inbox. The threads can then be read via Outlook 2007 or though their web browser. Users can also add their own comments or notes to the threads using outlook as well as view other user’s comments as they are posted to the discussion board threads.
In a nut shell this simply means that your users can use Outlook 2007 to send and receive E-Mails to the discussion boards and the message threads are archived in the appropriate discussion board on the MOSS sever ion the boards Metadata space.
To create and test new discussion boards follow the steps here.
1. From the Microsoft Office Server program group select “SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration”
2. Select the “Site Actions” button and then select “Create”.
3. Locate the “Communications” leaf and then select “Discussion Board”
Enter a Descriptive name in the “Name:” text box such as Test.
Then enter a brief “Description:” such as New Test.
Finally for the “Display this list on the Quick Launch?” accept the default of “Yes”.
4. When you are done select “Create” to create your new discussion board
5. After the Discussion Board has been create the new page will open to the following:
From here select “New” and then select “Discussion” and enter the following.
Subject This is a test
Body Hey there this is a test!
Then Select “OK” when you are done.