Announcing the Release Candidate of Configuration Manager Physical to Virtual Migration Toolkit | Microsoft Connect
The Configuration Manager team is pleased to announce the Release Candidate (RC) of the Configuration Manager Physical-to-Virtual Migration Toolkit!
The Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit was designed to assist in situations where there are remote Configuration Manager 2007 site servers that need to be retained during the side-by-side migration process to Configuration Manager 2012.
The Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit facilitates the re-utilization of existing x64 server hardware using virtualization technologies, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V
Configuration Manager P2V Migration Toolkit key features:
· Task sequence\standalone media driven. Utilizes Configuration Manager 2007’s task sequences to provide the ability to automate the majority of the end-to-end P2V process, including:
o Offline virtualization of physical disks.
o Preparing the VHDs to leverage virtual storage drivers and align to virtual disk layout.
o Compressing of the VHD’s to reduce size on disk.
o Installation of Windows 2008 R2 (including enabling the Hyper-V role).
o Automating the creation of a Hyper-V virtual machine.
o Attaching the captured VHDs as a Hyper-V virtual machine.
· User interface to create customized task sequences and standalone media. Wizard driven user interface assists in the creation of a customized Configuration Manager 2007 task sequence and standalone media specifically targeted to the P2V conversion of the remote site server.
· Offline physical-to-virtual conversion. Offline P2V conversion is the most reliable way to ensure data consistency between the physical hard disks and the virtual copies.
· Capture only option. Wizard driven solution to assist in the creation of bootable media, which in turn can be used to capture selected physical disk drives into Virtual Hard Disks (VHDs).
Release Candidate Improvements:
· Accessibility. Added support for high contrast, keyboard shortcuts and keyboard navigation.
· Increased critical boot driver coverage. Added additional support for critical boot drivers to enhance IDE disk driver support in the virtual instance.
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection RCs
ConfigMgr RC has been released today. Download from the link above!
Here is the main product page: System Center Configuration Manager 2012 | New Next Version
System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Release Candidate is Here!
In the Release Candidate, we’ve introduced some additional and enhanced capabilities, including:
- Improved endpoint protection functionality, with integrated setup, management and reporting for System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection.
- Improved application catalog design that provides a better, more responsive experience when requesting and downloading applications.
- New support for Windows Embedded devices, including Windows Embedded 7 SP1, POSReady 7, Windows 7 Think PC, and Windows Embedded Compact 7.
- Improved client status checks for Configuration Manager services and features.
- Improved compliance enforcement and tracking, with the ability to create dynamic collections of baseline compliance and the generation of hourly compliance summaries.
- Platform support for deep mobile device management of Nokia Symbian Belle devices. Pending a platform update by Nokia later this calendar year for these devices, customers will be able to try out the management of these Nokia devices with ConfigMgr.
- Additional scalability and performance improvements.
Important SQL Information!
Something not listed on the site is that you need KB2603910 in order to address a pretty nasty backup bug.
So the recommend SQL configuration is SQL 2008 SP2 with CU6 and KB2603910. The hotfix does not exist for 2008 R2 yet, so don't use SQL 2008 R2.
Fantastic post over on The Configuration Manager OSD Support Team Blog.
Troubleshooting the PXE Service Point and WDS in Configuration Manager 2007 - Configuration Manager OSD Support Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
One of the issues we troubleshoot the most in CSS are ConfigMgr PXE Service Point installs. This article is based on 4 years of experience troubleshooting hundreds of PXE Service Point installs. The end result is what we have found causes the majority of issues on PXE Service Points and what works on most (if not all) configurations. The article assumes that you are not trying to co-host the ConfigMgr PXE Service Point with stand-alone WDS on the same server. That is a topic for a completely different article…
A previous version of this article appeared over at the The Configuration Manager Support Team Blog site. That article was actually a major revision of the original article titled ConfigMgr 2007: Troubleshooting PXE Service Point Issues and WDS service not starting. The below is an updated version of the article and can be considered version 3 of the article. Besides some minor updates in syntax and formatting, it mainly contains one major new section covering co-hosting DHCP and WDS on the same server WITHOUT having to configure WDS. It also contains additional checks when R2 or R3 are installed.