Trying to give something back to the Community...
Microsoft Announces New Virtualisation Offerings, Windows Server 2008 Details, System Center Product Availability at TechEd IT Forum 2007
Broad range of new products and programs unveiled as Microsoft helps customers prepare for the next generation of Dynamic IT
BARCELONA, Spain — 12 November 2007 — Today at TechEd IT Forum 2007, Microsoft Corp.’s foremost technology show in Europe for IT Professionals, Bob Kelly, corporate vice president for Microsoft, announced details of next generation solutions to deliver Dynamic IT for the People-Ready Business.
“Earlier this year, we introduced our vision for Dynamic IT, which aims to make IT a stronger partner to the business by bringing together the capabilities of core infrastructure, application and development platforms,” Kelly said. “At TechEd IT Forum, we are demonstrating how that vision is coming to life for customers as IT is streamlined across the full spectrum of our software and technology offerings, including exciting new developments with Windows Server, Microsoft System Center, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack and more. The response from customers has been strong as we move toward the worldwide February 2008 launch of Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and Visual Studio 2008.”
New Windows Server 2008 virtualisation offerings, pricing and licensing details announced
During his keynote address, Kelly made the following announcements regarding Windows Server 2008:
• Hyper-V was introduced as the official name of the server virtualisation technology within Windows Server 2008 (previously code-named Viridian). Microsoft also announced Microsoft Hyper-V Server, a standalone server hypervisor-based server virtualisation product that allows customers to virtualise workloads onto a single physical server complementing the Hyper-V technology within Windows Server 2008, allowing customers to consolidate workloads onto a single physical server.
• Windows Server 2008 editions, pricing and licensing. Microsoft will offer customers the choice of eight versions of the product, each tailored to suit a variety of customer requirements. Pricing and licensing details were also disclosed. Complete details can be found here: <LINK HERE >
• The Server Virtualisation Validation Program was unveiled. The program will enable vendors to test and validate virtualisation software running Windows Server 2008 and prior versions. The program will enable Microsoft to offer cooperative technical support to customers running Windows Server on validated, non-Windows server virtualisation software.
• Virtualisation Solution Accelerators are a set of free guidance resources and tools to help IT professionals effectively plan and deploy virtualization technologies. The initial release includes the Infrastructure Planning and Design series and the Microsoft Assessment and Planning tool beta program. Details can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/solutionaccelerators
New Microsoft System Center products, alliance program announced
Kelly also announced the general availability of three new products in the Microsoft System Center family of systems management solutions, and an expansion of alliances and investments to provide customers with the solutions they need to build more dynamic IT systems.
System Center products now available to customers are:
• System Center Configuration Manager 2007
• System Center Data Protection Manager 2007
• System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2007
These products enable organizations to optimise a variety of scenarios, including server and software deployment, compliance and configuration management, backup and restore, and virtualisation management.
Also announced for Microsoft System Center:
• The System Center Alliance Program provides detailed guidance and resources for partners who want to deliver products that work with Microsoft System Center management solutions. The program also helps partners communicate information about their offerings to customers. Additional information on the System Center Alliance Program and community can be found at http://www.systemcenterpartners.com .
• The Enterprise Edition of the System Center Server Management Suite license is available and enables customers to manage the entire lifecycle of their servers with one purchase and provide better value for managing both physical and virtual environments.
TechNet, MSDN revamped to provide stronger community connections
Kelly unveiled a series of improvements to the TechNet and MSDN online experience, which provide comprehensive tools for IT Pros and Developers to evaluate, plan, deploy and maintain complex systems and to develop advanced software solutions. The enhancements include:
• New online Developer TechCenters to increase visibility of key members of the technical community. MSDN Library Community Content enables experts within the community to extend and enhance Microsoft product documentation with code samples, links to related resources, and more
• New TechNet EDGE online community featuring video interviews with Microsoft insiders and community experts specifically for the IT Professional community.
• Updated TechNet and MSDN Forums with a new user recognition system to reward forums users with points for participation and contribution.
• Enhanced TechNet and MSDN online Evaluation Centres to provide access to trial and beta software as well as virtual labs and virtual hard disks.
• New TechNet and MSDN Spotlight, a video portal featuring the best rated sessions from Microsoft’s top technical conferences worldwide.
More information can be found at www.msdn.com and www.technet.com .
Other Announcements at TechEd IT Forum
Microsoft continues to create new products with Dynamic IT in mind to provide customers with better-connected, simplified and adaptable IT systems. To help customers prepare for the next generation of Dynamic IT environments, Microsoft made a number of other announcements today:
• Microsoft SQL Server Community Technology Preview (CTP) announced
The November Community Technology Preview (CTP) for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 is available for customer download this month. It features a significant amount of new functionality including compatibility with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 as well as new features such as Resource Governor, Backup Compression and Transparent Data Encryption. This CTP also includes new business intelligence enhancements including Design Alerts, block computation, Enhanced Report Designer including new visualizations and integration with the 2007 Microsoft Office system. This is the first CTP to help customers store and consume any type of data including new FILESTREAM data types for unstructured documents and to provide support for spatial data for location intelligence. Separately, companies such as SpatialPoint, Barrodale, I.S. Consulting and Manifold announced their intention to ship applications to take advantage of spatial data support in SQL Server 2008.
• Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack details unveiled
The Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) for Software Assurance has sold more than three million licenses since being made available to Software Assurance customers in January 2007. New components of MDOP are now available for beta testing:
• Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5, formerly known as SoftGrid Application Virtualization, is the first Microsoft-branded release of the product and includes several key features for the enterprise, including the addition of Dynamic Virtualization, extended enterprise scalability, enhanced security and globalization. Microsoft Application Virtualization is now available in a public beta on Microsoft Connect and will become available through MDOP and Microsoft Application Virtualization for Terminal Services in summer 2008.
• Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) 6.0, enables IT staff to remove viruses and spyware from an offline system. DaRT now supports both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, unlocks BitLocker volume encryption and enables the ability to pull files from a USB device. DaRT is currently available through a private beta and will become available through MDOP in spring 2008.
• Asset Inventory Service (AIS) 1.0, which offers a complete software inventory scan of the environment, released to the web this month and is available for MDOP customers after activation of the service at: https://licensing.microsoft.com/eLicense/L1033/Default.asp For more information on MDOP for Software Assurance, visit http://www.windowsvista.com/optimizeddesktop .
• Microsoft FastCGI Extension for IIS 6.0 (FastCGI Extension) download released
Microsoft announced the release of Microsoft FastCGI Extension for IIS 6.0, available as a free download from the IIS community site, http://www.iis.net . For the first time, Microsoft is providing full support for technology, which enables reliable, scalable PHP hosting on production Windows Server 2003 Web servers. Windows Server 2008 with IIS7 delivers FastCGI with a GoLive license, making it the first Windows OS to natively support PHP hosting. For more information, visit: http://www.iis.net/php .
• Windows Essentials Business Server publicly demonstrated
The newly named Windows Essentials Business Server (formerly code-named “Centro”), Microsoft’s integrated IT solution for mid-sized businesses, is being publicly demonstrated at TechEd IT Forum 2007. New details about the product’s capabilities, as well industry hardware and software partners supporting it, are available here.
• Group Policy Preferences details unveiled
Group Policy Preferences, formerly known as PolicyMaker Standard Edition and Policy Share Manager, will be available to Microsoft customers in two ways:
• Integrated into the Group Policy management tools in Windows Server 2008
• Integrated into the forthcoming Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) for Windows Vista, which will be available as a separate download in the Windows Server 2008 timeframe and will work in a Windows Server 2003 environment. Customers can continue to purchase PolicyMaker Standard Edition and Policy Share Manager from the Desktop Standard subsidiary through January 31, 2008. For more information visit: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=103735
Microsoft Announces New Virtualisation Offerings, Windows Server 2008 Details, System Center Product