Well, it's been announced that Cingular should have two phones added to their line of devices in the near future.
First, the Cingular 8525 (or HTC Hermes) is due in stores on November 16.
Second, the long awaited Palm Treo 750, which was released in exclusivity to Vodafone in Europe, has finally passed FCC Certification for use in the US. This announcement was just released today. A small blurb is available here.
I have purchased a Cingular 3125 and am evaluating it now. It's a great little smartphone! Here are some of my likes and dislikes about it:
- The phone is really thin - this goes well as it's almost weightless on the belt
- Both displays are easy to read - When checking e-mail and reading news off the internet, the pages and messages are rendered pretty nicely and at pretty much any font size, it's easy to read. The display is clean and crisp.
- The camera takes pretty nice pictures - I haven't used it much, but from what I can tell, it does take pretty decent pictures.
- Keypad - I'm a true PDA user, and typing on a telephone dialpad is somewhat difficult to get used to. I'm doing "ok", but I still prefer the full keyboard.
- Speakerphone - the speakerphone is somewhat "tinny" in sound, but I can understand what people are saying, and the other end seems to hear me ok when talking on speaker.
- Battery life - I receive a lot of e-mails, and connecting to the Edge network to send/receive via POP3 consumes a bit of power. The handset (from about the 456 row down to the bottom) gets warm after about 3-4 minutes of consistent use, whether it be an extended check of messages (I subscribe to a couple of forums, so email numbers to my gmail account can get there pretty quickly), or surfing via the built in browser can make the handset pretty warm.
That's just a few points on the 3125 I've noticed.
All in all, the 3125 is a definite phone lover's phone. I'm more of a PDA type myself, so the 3125 will have a short life with me. I'll be getting the 8525 when it comes out next week, unless there's a Treo announcement in the wings at Cingular (it has to be out before the 18th, as I'll be leaving for three weeks to be in orientation at my new job), or I'll have to wait until I get back.
Either way, I'll update on my adventures with the new phones!