October 2010 - Posts
As already I said in the Part I, this hotfix should be installed on your clients if you need using the Power Management feature. For that you want to do the following steps
1. Under Software Distribution node/Packages, we see a package called KB977384 – Advanced Client Hotfix – <Site code>
2. Now it’s time to add this package to the distribution point and create an advertisement to deploy it to clients machines, after that we can verify that the Client version was changed from 4.00.6487.2000 to 4.00.6487.2157
Look at ConfigMgr client general tab on the client machine
3. To enable PowerMgmt, the Power Management Client Agent should be enabled from the site server
And on client machine you can see it is “enabled”
5. After initiating a Hardware inventory, the ConfigMgr client check its PowerMgmt parameters and you will have tow new node in the ressource explorer
"Power Capabilities" : lists all the skills to manage energy. We find for example:
* APM (Advanced Power Management): A standard implemented by Intel and Microsoft for energy saving portable machines to put in standby or hibernation are the different systems.
* The presence of a folding screen
* The presence of a battery
* The presence of a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply or Uninterruptible Power Supply)
* The preferred power plan
* The ability to tune performance processor
"Power Settings" : includes all values and parameters related to power management in Windows. We find for example:
* Hibernate after XX seconds
* Pause after XX seconds
* Turn off the screen after xx Seconds
* Stop the hard drive after XX seconds
* The critical level of the battery
* The low level of battery
In the part III we will talk about PowerMgmt settings configuration and Reporting. See you soon
From What's new in R3 :
Configuration Manager 2007 R3 provides a set of tools that enable the site administrator to manage and monitor the power consumption of computers in the enterprise. Configuration Manager 2007 R3 features improvements to operating system deployment for pre-staging boot image and .wim files. Configuration Manager 2007 R3 introduces Active Directory delta discovery, dynamic collection evaluation and administrator console improvements that improve the scale and performance of Configuration Manager 2007.
The following features are new to Configuration Manager 2007 R3.
- Power Management: Provides a set of tools that enable the site administrator to configure standard Windows power settings across computers and monitor power consumption and computer activity.
- Operating System Deployment Improvements: Provides pre-staging of boot images and Windows Imaging Format (.wim) files on new computers that enables the administrator to apply a task sequence to the device that can use the pre-staged media.
- Dynamic Collection Evaluation: Enables you to rapidly evaluate a collection membership by adding only newly discovered resources.
- Active Directory Delta Discovery: Performs an intermediate discovery cycle that adds only new resources to the Configuration Manager 2007 database.
- Simplified Resource Management: Enables you to search for and add resources to a specified collection.
- Desired Configuration Management: Enables you to create a collection of compliant or noncompliant computers in desired configuration management.
- Higher Number of Supported Clients Per Hierarchy: Configuration Manager 2007 R3 supports up to 300,000 clients per hierarchy when it uses the default settings for all Configuration Manager 2007 features. This increase in supported clients is the result of improvements to the Active Directory synchronization and Collection Evaluation processes
For more details about Configuration Manager R3 supported configuration : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff977062.aspx
So now, we start deploying the R3 but before that we need installing the KB977384 on the site server as indicated in the precedent link
1. Click next
2. Accept and click next
3. Click Install
3. Click Yes …. then next
(in steps 184.108.40.206.7 a package containing the KB will be created into ConfigMgr to be deployed after on clients to make them able to support PowerMgmt)
4. Click next
5. Click next
6. Click next
7. Click finish
8. Run the splash.hta from R3 extracted files then click Install
9. Click next
10. Accept and click next
11. Click next
12. Click next
13. Click finish
14. You can verify the R3 installation from the site properties
Also under %temp% folder you find the setup log file ConfigMgr2007R3.log
In the part II we will talk about deploying the KB977384 to ConfigMgr clients. See you soon
“There is an issue with the changes made in QFE9 (KB2394433) that prevents the Antimalware minifilter mpfilter.sys from loading properly on Windows 2000. This causes a failure to provide On Access Real-Time Protection. If you do not have any Windows 2000 computers in your organization, this issue does not apply to you.”
For more details, have a look at this link QFE9 KB2394433 introduces RTP error 0x8007007f on Windows 2000
To make your life most easy if you need to find someting about ConfigMgr, now there is a very wonderfull gadget for that Configuration Manager Content Search and it is FREE
“This gadget makes it easier to find help for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager because it uses a Search Portal and Bing to search specific sites instead of the entire web. Search results are only returned from sites that are known to contain helpful information about System Center Configuration Manager. Enter a search term in the gadget to get customized search results.”
For exemple, I search “Secondary site”
When I press Enter, an Internet Explorer page opens and gives me all content around “Secondary site” in forums, Technet library, video, …
For people that cannot work with vNext on their virtual machines, Microsoft has published some VL to give all a chance to evaluate and test ConfigMgr vNext.
To start working, go to this link System Center Configuration Manager vNext Virtual Labs
The anwser is no, actually the FEP beta version can only be integrated with Configuration Manager 2007 SP2. If you try to launch FEP installation on vNext beta 1 you will receive this error message:
And that’s true because in FEP system requirements there is no vNext but only Configuration Manager 2007 with SP2
Right now, I don’t know what Microsoft provides for us, maybe with the FEP RTM version it will possible or we need waiting vNext beta 2 or RTM …
I've installed the ConfigMgr console for 50 ConfigMgr Admins and all seems good except one which has a problem when he tries to open the console, he gets the following errors:
"Console configuration file was not found or there was an error accessing the file"
"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"
When I checked the AdminUI.log I've seen this error :
System.IO.FileNotFoundException\r\nThe requested XML files could not be found: AdminConsole.xml\r\n at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.LoadXmlHelpers.ReadXmlFromProvider(String xmlFileName, Boolean ignoreExtensions, StreamReader& reader)
After troubleshooting's actions, I found that the installation path of the console in the registry (HKLM\Software\ConfigMgr\AdminUI\UI Installation Directory string value) has been modified for an unknown reason!!! So, after putting the good path the problem was solved.
Hope it helps
One day, you decide to install WSUS 3.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2008/R2, you start the installation and BOOOM you get an error indicates that "IIS role or additional IIS role serivces must be installed" !!! So don't worry, make sure that all requirements are present, you can see "Preparing to Install WSUS 3.0 SP2" here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939916(WS.10).aspx ; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc720452(WS.10).aspx
Once, I have seen a similar problem and the cause was "IIS 6 MetaBase Compability" was not installed.
Hope it helps.
If you are trying to install FEP 2010 server and you are sure that you've already installed SQL Analysis Services but you recieve the following errors when FEP try to check the prerequisites:
"Error: The SQL Server Analysis Services service must be running"
In this case make sure that the service of SAS is running with Local System account.
Hope it helps.
Since the release of SQL 2008 R2, all people asked the question "ConfigMgr is it supported on SQL 2008 R2 ????". On TechNet forums, our answers were at the beginning "No, not yet supported" but in June 30, 2010, Microsoft announced that SQL 2008 R2 is supported with ConfigMgr.
After, it seems that there is a small problem with SQL Reporting Service 2008 R2, in fact everything is working correctly but the file SRSPSetup.log perceives the error 7403 and the first solution was creating a filter in ConfigMgr. Today I've read the blog of brandonlinton which say that the problem is fixed with the CU4 of SQL 2008 R2. Personnaly, I am very happy to know it
There is the blog http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/brandonlinton/archive/2010/10/19/fix-configmgr-error-7403-srs-web-service-is-not-running-on-srs-reporting-point-server.aspx
Actually, the anwser is NO, when trying to install the hotfix this error message appears
"This hotfix is not valid for this version of Configuration Manager"
And that because when installing the ICP2 for exemple, the site version changes from 4.00.6487.2000 to 4.00.6487.2700 (info stored in Full version key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Setup). So at the moment and until a released version of the hotfix will appears, you can only install it on a site server without ICP
For several years, I've blogged on Google blogger http://bechir-gharbi-sccm.blogspot.com/ , it was a good experience, and now I'm so glad to join myITforum and move my blog on it. I hope that my new blog will be more powerfull and it help all people arround the word. Many thanks to Rod, John and all the family.